Thyme roasted chicken, lentil & goats cheese salad
PLEASE CLICK CENTRE OF IMAGE TO BEGIN VIDEO TUTORIAL.
READY IN: 30 MINS
Chicken breast (all)
Thyme and garlic chicken stock (all)
Goats cheese (all)
Puy lentils (all)
Brown onion (all)
Tomato (1/2 supplied)
Lemon (1/2 supplied)
WHAT YOU’LL NEED: Medium saucepan, medium frying pan, chopping board, steamer and lid, peeler, knife
PANTRY STAPLES: Cooking oil (vegetable or grape seed), salt
ALLERGENS: Dairy, onion, garlic
These instructions are to serve two people. When cooking for one, four or six the same techniques apply but the preparation and cooking times may change slightly.
1. Prepare the vegetables: Wash the vegetables.
Finely chop the onion, half of the celery and half of the carrot.
Peel the beetroot and cut into wedges. Remove the thyme and garlic from the stock and keep for later use.
Halve the remaining carrot lengthwise and slice thinly. Remove the fibres from the celery and slice thinly. Halve the tomato, remove the core and cut into wedges. Pick the leaves from the parsley and finely chop half of the leaves.
2. Make the lentils: Heat a splash of oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the finely chopped vegetables and cook for 3 minutes or until soft. Add the lentils, toast for 30 seconds, then add stock. Add water during the cooking process, if needed (the lentils should be just covered by the stock).
Put the beetroot in a steamer and place over the lentils. Cook the lentils and beetroot, covered, for 15 minutes or until the beetroot is tender. Remove the steamer and continue to cook, uncovered, for a further 10 minutes or until the lentils are soft. Add water if required. The lentils should absorb all the liquid by the end of the cooking time.
3. Cook the chicken Meanwhile, heat a splash of oil in a medium frying pan over medium heat. Add the chicken, skin side down. Cook for 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Add the butter and reserved thyme and garlic to the pan. Melt the butter and gently spoon over the chicken for a couple minutes. Remove the chicken from the pan. Add the steamed beetroot into the pan. Cook over medium-low heat for 2 minutes or until the beetroot is glazed with the butter.
4. Make the salad: Combine the lentils, tomato, remaining carrot, remaining celery, chopped parsley, a squeeze of lemon, a sprinkle of salt and a drizzle of oil.
5. To serve: Divide the lentil salad, chicken, beetroot and goats cheese between serving plates. Serve with the remaining lemon and parsley leaves.