Spiced zucchini & leek, Muhammara, pickled onion & turnip
PLEASE CLICK CENTRE OF IMAGE TO BEGIN VIDEO TUTORIAL.
READY IN: 15 MINS
Pickled turnips and onion
Red onion (1/3 supplied)
Lemon (1/3 supplied)
Parsley (½ supplied)
YOU’LL NEED: Medium sized saucepan, large frying pan, heat proof bowl, colander or strainer, chopping board, knife
PANTRY STAPLES: Cooking oil (vegetable or grape seed), salt
ALLERGENS: Dairy, wheat, gluten, onion, garlic, walnut, may contain traces of sesame
These instructions are to serve 2 people. When cooking for 1, 4 or 6 the same techniques apply but the preparation and cooking times may change slightly.
1. Prepare the produce: Wash the vegetables. Halve the carrot lengthways, and slice thickly. Thinly slice the parsley and onion. Soak the bulgur in boiling water in a heatproof bowl for 5 minutes or until hydrated, remove any excess water. Cut the lemon into wedges. Cut the leek into the same lengths as the zucchini. Halve the leek and zucchini lengthwise.
2. Blanch the carrots: Bring a medium pot of water to the boil. Add the carrots and cook for one minute. Strain through a colander.
3. Cook the zucchini and leek: Preheat a char grill or frying pan. Slightly oil the leek and zucchini pieces and place onto the preheated grill plate. Cook for 8 minutes or until soft and charred on both sides. Press with a plate if needed.
4. Make the salad: Combine the carrots, parsley, onion, drained bulgur and most of the pickles. Squeeze some lemon over the salad. Toss to combine.
5. To serve: Divide the salad between the serving plates. Spread the muhammara onto the plate and top with the zucchini, leek and remaining pickles.