Leek tarte, Cafe de Paris butter, asparagus, potato
PLEASE CLICK CENTRE OF IMAGE TO BEGIN VIDEO TUTORIAL.
READY IN: 25 MINS
Leek bechamel (all)
Puff pastry (all)
Cafe de Paris butter (all)
Lemon (1/2 supplied)
Butter lettuce (1/2 supplied)
Potatoes (1/2 supplied)
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:Medium saucepan, medium frying pan, chopping board, paper towel, knife
PANTRY STAPLES: Cooking oil (vegetable or grape seed), salt
ALLERGENS: Dairy, onion, garlic
These instructions are to serve two people. When cooking for one, four or six the same techniques apply but the preparation and cooking times may change slightly.
1. Preheat the oven to 180c fan forced
2. Make the leek tart: Using a plate as a guide, cut a 20cm round from each pastry sheet. Place the rounds on lined oven trays. Spread the leek bechamel in the centre of each round, leaving a 3cm border around the outside edge. Please refer to the video to see Charlie make the tart.
Using your hands, turn a 3cm edge up, pinching together to make an edge. Bake, uncovered, in the oven about 15 minutes or until pastry is browned lightly.
3. Prepare the vegetables: Wash the vegetables. Cut the potatoes into 1cm thick slices then cut the slices into 1cm thick chips. Wash the potatoes to remove excess starch. Snap the asparagus at their weakest point to remove woody ends. Peel and finely chop the shallots and place into a small bowl. Cut the lemon into wedges and squeeze half of the lemon over the shallot.
4. Fry the frites: Add a generous amount of oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the potato slices to the pan in a single layer. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes, turning often, or until they are golden, crisp and cooked through. Remove from the pan onto a paper towel lined plate, season with salt.
5. Cook the asparagus: Meanwhile, oil and season the asparagus. Add the asparagus to a preheated char grill pan (or frying pan or barbecue). Cook for 2 minutes or until just tender. Remove from the pan. Place a little of the shallots and lemon mixture over the asparagus.
6. Make the salad: Combine the lettuce leaves, remaining shallots and lemon mixture, a sprinkle of salt and a drizzle of olive oil in a serving bowl.
7. To serve: Portion the Cafe de Paris butter into individual serves. Place the tarts on the serving plates. Top with the asparagus and butter. Serve with the salad, frites and remaining lemon wedges.