Peruvian beef stir fry with potato & rice
FULL METHOD & RECIPE CARD AVAILABLE BELOW.
Five spice starch
Dutch cream potato
PANTRY STAPLES: Cooking oil, salt, white sugar
ALLERGENS: Onion, soy, wheat
1. Prepare the ingredients: Wash the vegetables. Thinly slice the red onions. Cut the tomatoes into dice. Pick the coriander leaves. Cut the potatoes into 1cm thick slices then further cut the slices into 1cm thick chips. Wash the chips to remove the starch and dry well. Cut the beef into 2cm cubes.
2. For the sauce: Combine the soy sauce, 2 teaspoons per person of sugar and 1 tablespoon per person of water in a bowl. Stir well to dissolve the sugar.
3. Cook the rice: Place the rice in a bowl and wash with cold water 3 times. Meanwhile, bring a saucepan of water to the boil. Put the washed rice in the boiling water. Boil for 8 minutes or until cooked through. Stir halfway through to stop the rice from sticking. When cooked strain through a sieve.
4. Cook the potatoes: Heat a generous splash of oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Cook the chips, turning often, for 8 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Move the chips around the pan while cooking, turning. Drain the chips on absorbent paper before serving. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt.
5. Cook the beef: Coat the beef in the five spice starch. Heat a frying pan over medium-high heat with a generous splash of oil. Cook the beef and half the onion for 5 minutes, turning often, until cooked to your desired doneness and brown all over. Add the chips and sauce and simmer for 2 minutes or until combined.
6. To serve up: Place the rice on a plate and top with the beef stir-fry. Place the tomatoes, remaining onions and coriander on the side.