Vegetarian dumplings, Sichuan dipping sauce
FULL METHOD & RECIPE CARD WILL BE AVAILABLE SOON.
Seasonal Asian greens
PANTRY STAPLES: Salt, cooking oil, white sugar
ALLERGENS: Onion, garlic, gluten, wheat, soy, sesame
SPECIALISED EQUIPMENT: Grater, frying pan with a lid, steamer
NOTE: For further instruction on how to fold dumplings please refer to the one minute mark on the China Masterclass on dumplings. While the recipe is different to this one the folding technique is the same.
1. Prepare the ingredients: Wash the vegetables. Grate the cabbage. Grate the carrots. Finely chop the spring onion whites. Slice the spring onion greens. Grate or finely chop the garlic. Slice the chillies. Cut the Asian greens into smaller pieces. Remove all water from the outside of the tofu and cut into 5mm dice.
2. Make the sauce: Combine the garlic, chillies, light soy, vinegar, some of the spring onion greens, the remaining sesame oil and two teaspoons of sugar per person in a bowl. Mix well to dissolve the sugar.
3. Make the dumplings: Place the cabbage in a bowl with a pinch of salt. Massage the salt into the cabbage and let sit for 5 minutes. Squeeze the water out of the cabbage and put into another bowl. Combine the tofu with the cabbage, carrots and spring onion whites. You want even amounts of tofu and vegetables. Taste the mix and add sugar and sesame oil to your liking. Lay the dumpling wrappers on your bench. Wet the edges of the dumpling wrappers with a little water. Spoon a heaped teaspoon of the mix into the centre. Fold the wrapper in half and seal the dumpling by pressing the edges together. Flatten the dumpling slightly.
4. Cook the dumplings: Heat a splash of oil in a large frying pan (preferably non-stick) over medium-low heat. Place the dumpling base side down and cook until the bottoms are lightly browned. Add 5mm of water to the pan. Cover with a lid (or plate or foil) and steam for 5 minutes or until the skins are cooked. Remove the lid and evaporate all the water.
5. Steam the asian greens: Meanwhile, bring a saucepan of water to the boil. Put the asian greens in a steamer over the water and simmer for 2 minutes or until just tender. Alternatively, you can boil them for one minute if you do not have a steamer.
6. To serve: Divide the asian greens and dumplings between the serving plates. Spoon the sauce over the dumplings. Sprinkle the dumplings with the remaining spring onion greens.