Crispy tofu poke bowl with avocado & edamame
FULL METHOD & RECIPE CARD AVAILABLE BELOW.
1 firm tofu packet
1 Japanese rice packet
1 light soy sachet
1 sesame oil sachet
1 five spice starch sachet
1 sesame seed sachet
1 edamame packet
1 radish bunch
1 spring onion bunch
Allergens: Wheat, soy, onion, sesame
Pantry staples: Cooking oil, white sugar
Chef's note: This dish gathers flavours from the Japanese immigration into Hawaii. Traditionally this dish has raw fish marinated in sweet soy. This is our vegetarian version.
1. Prepare the ingredients: Wash the vegetables. Cut the carrot, cucumber and radish into matchstick size pieces. Thinly slice the spring onion. Halve, peel and remove the seed of the avocado and thinly slice the flesh. Cut the tofu into 2cm cubes. Thaw the edamame by placing them in a bowl of warm water.
2. Toast the sesame seeds: Toast the sesame seeds in a dry frying pan until lightly browned.
3. Make the poke sauce: Combine the soy sauce, sesame oil, 2 teaspoons per person of sugar and 1 tablespoon per person of water in a bowl. Stir well to dissolve the sugar.
4. Wash the rice: Place the rice in a bowl and wash with cold water 3 times to rid away the starch. Meanwhile, bring a saucepan of water to the boil.
5. Cook the rice: Cook the rice in a rice cooker according to manufacturer instructions or use the following method. Put the washed rice in the boiling water. Boil for 10 minutes or until cooked through. Stir halfway through to stop the rice from sticking. Once cooked, strain the rice through a sieve.
6. Dust the tofu: Lightly dust the tofu in the five-spice starch.
7. Cook the tofu: Heat a generous splash of oil in a frying pan over high heat. Add the tofu and cook for 5 minutes, turning often, or until crispy and browned all over.
8. To serve: Divide the rice between the serving bowls. Top with the cucumber, carrot, radish, avocado, drained edamame and spring onion. Add the crispy tofu in the middle. Top with the poke sauce and the sesame seeds.