Thanksgiving silverbeet & all the trimmings
PLEASE CLICK CENTRE OF IMAGE TO BEGIN VIDEO TUTORIAL.
Herb and garlic butter
Breadcrumbs and almonds
Dutch cream potato (½ of supplied)
Brown onion (½ of supplied)
YOU’LL NEED: Medium frying pans, lined baking tray, grater, colander or sieve, small oven proof dish, chopping board, knife, foil
PANTRY STAPLES: Cooking oil (vegetable or grape seed), salt
ALLERGENS: Dairy, garlic, onion, wheat
This dish is listed as night one, however as Thanksgiving is on Thursday please feel free to reorder the USA box.
These instructions are to serve two people. When cooking for one, four or six the same techniques apply but the preparation and cooking times may change slightly
We have used an oven proof frying pan to cook the silverbeet. If you do not have one please use a baking tray.
1. Preheat the oven to 200C fan forced
2. Prepare the produce: Wash the vegetables. Thinly slice the onion. Thinly slice the apple. Dice the potato. Remove the tails from the beans. Peel and grate the sweet potato. Slice the leeks into rounds.
3. Prepare the stuffing: Heat a splash of oil in a medium frying pan over high heat. Cook the onion and apples, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until softened. Once soft, remove half and add the potato into the pan and cook for a further 5 minutes. Remove from the heat. Roughly chop the removed onion and apple, combine with some of the herb and garlic butter and half of the breadcrumbs and almonds. Place into a small oven proof dish, cover with foil. Place into the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
4. Cook the mashed sweet potato: Place the grated sweet potato and a splash of water in another frying pan over medium heat. Cook for 5 minutes or until the sweet potato is softened, add more water if needed. Add a third of the herb and garlic butter and return to the heat. Cook a further 5 minutes, stirring, to reduce and combine.
5. Cook the silverbeet rolls: Bring a medium pot of salted water to the boil. Remove the stems of the silverbeet. Blanch the leaves. Divide the seasoned ricotta between the silverbeet leaves, fold in the edges and roll up. Place on top of the vegetables and place in the preheated oven for 10 minutes or until cooked through. Spread the remaining butter onto the silver beet rolls. Return to the oven and cook for a further 2 minutes.
6. Cook the leeks and beans: Blanch the beans and leeks for 2 minutes or until just tender in the boiling water. Strain through a colander.
7. To serve: Spoon the mash into a serving plate. Place the beans and leeks onto a serving plate and top with the remaining breadcrumbs and almonds. Place the stuffing container onto a heatproof trivet. Place the silverbeet rolls on a large serving plate. Spoon the cooked vegetables onto another serving plate. Serve the dishes with the cranberry sauce.
PREPARE THE PIE:
1. Bake the pie at 160C fan forced for 15-20 minutes for small pies (singles & couples boxes) and 30-35 minutes for large pies (family & group boxes).