Sweet potato in coconut cream with silverbeet, tomato & chilli
FULL METHOD & RECIPE CARD AVAILABLE SOON.
READY IN: 25 MINS
Long red chilli
White Sweet Potato
Pantry staples: Salt, cooking oil
Specialised equipment: Lined baking tray, slotted spoon
Note: This dish is inspired by a Tahitian Poulet fafa as well as Samoan Palusami.
1. Preheat oven to 160C fan forced.
2. Prepare the ingredients: Wash the vegetables. Thinly slice the oions. Thinly slice the chilli. Thinly slice the spring onions. Separate the silverbeet leaves from the stems, cut the stems into 2cm pieces and cut the leaves in half. Roughly chop the tomatoes. Cut the lemon into wedges. Peel and cut half the sweet potatoes into 2cm cubes. Very thinly slice the remaining sweet potatoes.
3. Make the sweet potato chips: Coat the thinly sliced sweet potatoes in oil. Place in one layer onto a lined baking tray. Bake the sweet potato chips in the preheated oven for 10 minutes each side or until crisp.
4. Cook the sweet potato and silverbeet: Heat a splash of oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the brown onions and cook for 2 minutes or until slightly softened. Add a pinch of salt and the sweet potato cubes and cook for 1 minute. Add ¾ of the coconut cream and a generous splash of water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, place a lid on the saucepan and let the mixture simmer for 8 minutes. Add the silverbeet stems and cook for 2 minutes with the lid on. Add the silverbeet leaves and simmer for 2 minutes with the lid on. Check the sweet potatoes are cooked by piercing them with a knife or fork. Add a little water while cooking if the coconut thickens too much. Add salt and lemon to taste.
5. Make the tomato and chili salad: Place the tomatoes, spring onion greens and a pinch of salt in a bowl. Mix to combine. Squeeze the remaining lemon over the salad. Add chilli to taste.
6. To serve: Divide the sweet potatoes and silverbeet between serving plates. drizzle with the remaining coconut cream. Serve with the tomato and chilli salad and sweet potato chips.