Stuffed cabbage roll, beetroot butter, fennel and dill salad
CLICK CENTRE OF IMAGE TO BEGIN VIDEO TUTORIAL.
Almond and sunflower mix
Potato (1/2 of supplied)
Dill (1/3 of supplied)
White onion (1/2 of supplied)
Sour cream (1/2 of supplied)
YOU’LL NEED: Knife, chopping board, medium pot, 2 medium frying pans, lid for frying pan
PANTRY STAPLES: Cooking oil (vegetable or grape seed), salt, pepper
ALLERGENS: Garlic, onion, gluten, dairy (v)
These instructions are to serve 2 people. When cooking for 1, 4 or 6 the same techniques apply but the preparation and cooking times may change slightly.
The video shows Charlie removing the leaves from a whole cabbage. Boxes for 1 and 2 will have a quarter or half a cabbage. When using a part of a cabbage just simply remove the outer leaves from your piece of cabbage and use the biggest pieces for making the cabbage rolls. They may be smaller than what Charlie uses in the video but they will be just as delicious!
1. Bring a medium saucepan of salted water to the boil.
2. Prepare the cabbage leaves: Wash the vegetables. Gently remove the outer leaves of the cabbage. You will need two large leaves or four smaller leaves per person. Cut a V in the leaves to remove the thick stem. Place the leaves in the boiling water. Simmer for approximately three minutes or until slightly softened.
3. Prepare the filling: Finely chop the remaining cabbage, approximately 1/2 cup per person. Finely chop the onion and celery stalk. Coarsely grate the potato (with the skin on). Remove the leaves from the dill. Finely chop half of the leaves.
Heat a splash of oil in a medium frying pan over high heat. Cook the onion for 3 minutes or until slightly translucent. Add the potato, celery and cabbage to the pan. Cook, stirring, another 3 minutes or until vegetables are cooked. Add the bulgur and ¼ cup of water per person to the mix. Bring to the boil and simmer until slightly thickened. Add the finely chopped dill, half of the almond and sunflower seed mixture, salt and pepper. Squeeze half of the lemon into the mixture.
4. Cook the cabbage rolls: Place the cabbage leaves on the chopping board. Spoon a small amount of the filling along the centre. Fold in the ends and roll up firmly. Place the rolls, seam-side down, in a medium frying pan. Add ¼ cup of water per person to the rolls. Cover the pan with a lid and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes to heat through. Remove the rolls from the pan. Re serve the pan juices.
5. Make the salad: Finely slice the fennel and roughly chop the remaining dill leaves. Combine with lemon juice.
6. Make the beetroot butter sauce: Bring the frying pan with the cooking juices to the boil over medium heat (there should be at least 2 tablespoons of liquid left in the pan). Add the beetroot butter. Simmer for one minute or until the sauce thickens slightly.
7. To serve: Divide the cabbage rolls between serving plates. Gently spoon the beetroot butter sauce around the cabbage rolls (try not to pour it directly on the rolls). Top with the fennel salad and remaining almond and sunflower mix.