Steak & frites, Cafe de Paris butter, asparagus
PLEASE CLICK CENTRE OF IMAGE TO BEGIN VIDEO TUTORIAL.
READY IN: 25 MINS
Sirloin steak (all) (beef is dry aged and some discolouration is completely normal)
Cafe de Paris butter (all)
Lemon (1/2 supplied)
Butter lettuce (1/2 supplied)
Potatoes (1/2 supplied)
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:Medium saucepan, medium frying pan, chopping board, paper towel, knife
PANTRY STAPLES: Cooking oil (vegetable or grape seed), salt
ALLERGENS: Dairy, onion, garlic
These instructions are to serve two people. When cooking for one, four or six the same techniques apply but the preparation and cooking times may change slightly.
1. Preheat a saucepan or char grill pan.
2. Prepare the vegetables: Wash the vegetables. Cut the potatoes into 1cm thick slices then cut slices into 1cm thick chips. Wash the potatoes to remove excess starch. Snap the asparagus at their weakest point to remove woody ends. Peel and finely chop the shallots and place into a small bowl. Cut the lemon into wedges and squeeze half of the lemon over the shallot.
3. Fry the frites: Add a generous amount of oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the potato slices to the pan in a single layer. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes, turning often, or until they are golden, crisp and cooked through. Remove from the pan onto a paper towel lined plate, season with salt.
4. Cook steak and asparagus: Meanwhile, oil and season the steak and asparagus. Add the steak to the preheated char grill pan (or frying pan or barbecue). Cook for 10 minutes or until brown on both sides and cooked to your liking. Remove the steak and rest for 5 minutes.
Add the asparagus to the same pan. Cook for 2 minutes or until just tender. Remove the asparagus from the pan. Place a little of the shallots and lemon mixture over the asparagus.
Return the steak to the pan. Cook for 2 minutes to complete the cooking.
5. Make the salad: Combine the lettuce leaves, remaining shallots and lemon mixture, a sprinkle of salt and a drizzle of olive oil in a serving bowl.
6. To serve: Portion the Cafe de Paris butter into individual serves. Divide the steaks, asparagus and frites between the serving plates. Place the butter on top of each steak. Serve with the salad and remaining lemon wedges.