Soy marinated fried eggplant with jasmine rice & cucumber salad
FULL METHOD & RECIPE CARD AVAILABLE SOON.
Five spice starch
Long red chilli
Pantry staples: Cooking oil
Allergens: Wheat, soy, onion, sesame
1. Prepare the ingredients: Wash the vegetables. Slice the cucumbers into rounds. Thinly slice the spring onions on the diagonal. Chop the coriander. Cut the eggplant into wedges. Cut the chilli into slices. Finely chop the garlic. Toast the sesame seeds in a dry pan or in a moderate oven.
2. Cook the rice: Place the rice in a bowl and wash with cold water 3 times. Meanwhile, bring a saucepan of water to the boil. Put the washed rice in the boiling water. Boil for 8 minutes or until cooked through. Stir halfway through to stop the rice from sticking. When cooked strain through a sieve.
3. Make the sauce: Combine the garlic, chilli, light soy, chilli flakes, black vinegar, sesame oil, half of the sesame seeds, 2 teaspoons of sugar per person in a bowl and a splash of oil. Mix well to dissolve the sugar.
4. Cook the eggplant: Coat the eggplant in the five spice starch. Heat a splash of oil in a frying pan. Add the eggplant wedges and cook for 3 minutes on each side or until browned and cooked through. Add the spring onions and the sauce. Toss to combine.
5. To serve: Divide the rice, eggplant and cucumbers between serving plates. Sprinkle with the coriander and toasted sesame seeds.