Pork & asparagus yakitori, spinach & mushroom salad
FULL METHOD & RECIPE CARD AVAILABLE BELOW.
Mixed asian mushrooms
Allergens: Soy, wheat, fish
Pantry staples: Cooking oil, salt, white sugar
Specialised equipment: Char grill pan or BBQ
Notes: If cooking on a barbecue, soak the 12 bamboo skewers in cold water for 20 minutes to prevent them from burning.
1. Preheat a char grill pan or barbecue.
2. Prepare the ingredients: Wash the vegetables. Remove the lower woody ends from the asparagus and cut the spears into 3cm pieces. Cut the mushrooms into 1cm strips. Thinly slice the spring onion on the diagonal. Cut the pork into 2 cm x 1 cm pieces.
3. Make the yakitori sauce: Place the kombu tsuyu sauce, light soy and 1 teaspoon of sugar per person in a small saucepan. Bring to the boil then simmer for 5 minutes or until thickened slightly.
4. Cook the yakitori: Thread the pork pieces and asparagus alternatively on to the skewers; drizzle a little oil over the skewers. Place on the preheated char grill, barbecue or into a frying pan. Cook for 5 minutes, turning often or until pork is cooked. Brush the skewers with the yakitori sauce and grill for an additional 30 seconds or until the sauce bubbles, being careful not to burn the sauce.
5. Make the soba, spinach and mushroom salad: Bring a saucepan of salted water to the boil. Add the noodles and cook for 3 minutes or until just tender. Strain through a sieve and cool noodles under running water. Heat a splash of oil in a frying pan over high heat, add the mushrooms with a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until the mushrooms are browned slightly and tender. Add the spinach and spring onions and mix well to combine. Remove from the heat and combine with the noodles.
6. To serve: Divide the salad and yakitori between serving plates, drizzle with any remaining yakitori sauce.