Marinated Chicken Skewers
CLICK CENTRE OF IMAGE TO BEGIN VIDEO.
Butter, fruit and spice mix
Cucumber (½ supplied)
Brown onion (½ supplied)
Parsley (½ supplied)
Lemon (⅓ supplied)
WHAT YOU’LL NEED: Medium sized saucepan, steamer with lid, medium sized frying pan, chopping board, knife, strainer or colander
PANTRY STAPLES: Cooking oil, salt
ALLERGENS: Sesame, almonds, dairy
These instructions are to serve 2 people. When cooking for 1, 4 or 6 the same techniques apply but the preparation and cooking times may change slightly. When cooking large quantities of rice the cooking time may be longer.
1. Wash the rice, two to three times. Prepare the quantity of water you will require for the pilaf and set aside - 1 pax = 2/3 cup / 2 pax = 1 1/3 cup/ 4 pax = 2 2/3 cup / 6 pax = 4 cups
2. Prepare the pilaf: Finely chop the onion. Cook the onion with the butter mixture in a medium saucepan over a low-medium heat. Cook for 3 minutes or until cooked and translucent. Add the washed rice and stir for one minute with the required amount of water to combine. Bring to the boil. Stir once again, then reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer gently for 15 minutes or until cooked through. Take it off the heat, rest for 10 minutes and then fluff with a fork before serving.
3. Prepare the skewers: Chop the chicken into large pieces (approximately 4cm squares). Combine the chicken pieces with the marinade in a bowl. Carefully thread the chicken evenly onto the skewers. Heat a splash of oil in a medium frying pan over medium-low heat. Cook the skewers for six minutes or until brown on all sides. Be careful not to overcook.
4. Prepare the salad: Wash the vegetables. Thinly slice the parsley. Finely dice the cucumber. Combine with a squeeze of lemon and a touch of salt.
5. To serve: Divide the pilaf, chicken, hummus and salad between the serving plates.