Leek & egg open sandwich with radish & chive butter
FULL METHOD & RECIPE CARD AVAILABLE BELOW.
READY IN: 25 MINS
Red wine vinegar
Allergens: Wheat, gluten, yeast, egg, garlic , onion, lactose
Pantry staples: Olive oil, salt, white sugar, black pepper
1. Prepare the ingredients: Wash the vegetables. Soften the butter to room temperature. Carefully trim the root of the leeks so it still remains intact. Cut off the dark green parts and discard. Cut the remaining leek into quarters lengthwise. Thinly slice the shallots. Finely chop the garlic. Thinly slice the radish. Finely chop the chives.
2. To make the leek and the eggs: Bring a pot of salted water to the boil. Reduce to a simmer then add the leeks and the eggs and cook for 7 minutes. When removing the eggs, check the leek to see if it is tender. If not, cook the leek for a further 1-2 minutes. Place the eggs in a bowl of cold water. Drain the leek on absorbent paper. Peel the eggs under cold water, this helps remove the shell. Quarter the eggs.
3. To make the vinaigrette: Meanwhile, combine the shallots, garlic, red wine vinegar, dijon mustard and a pinch of sugar in a bowl. Gradually add ½ tablespoon of olive oil per person while whisking at the same time. Season with salt to taste.
4. To make the chive butter: Combine the butter, most of the chives and a small pinch of salt in a bowl.
5. Toast the bread: Heat a dry frying pan over high heat. Toast each side of the rye bread until lightly browned. Alternatively, you can toast the bread in a toaster or in the oven.
6. To serve: Spread the butter among the bread slices making sure to spread to the edges. Top each slice with the leek, radish, eggs, vinaigrette and remaining chives.