Lamb and feta filo borek with Turkish tomato salad
FULL METHOD & RECIPE CARD AVAILABLE BELOW.
Turkish pepper flakes
Pantry staples: Cooking oil, salt
Allergens: Wheat, garlic, onion, gluten, dairy
Specialised equipment: Pastry brush
Notes: If cooking for 2, you will make 1 borek to share. If cooking for 4, you can choose to make 1 large borek or 2 smaller boreks.
1. Preheat the oven to 180C fan forced.
2. Prepare the ingredients: Wash the vegetables. Thinly slice the onions. Thickly slice the garlic. Slice the tomato into thin wedges. Roughly chop the parsley. Crumble the feta.
3. Cook the filling: Heat a splash of oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Cook the garlic and half of the onion for 5 minutes or until soft. Add the lamb, cumin and coriander and cook for 5 minutes. Add the tomato polpa and cook for 10 minutes or until the filling is thick. Remove from the heat. Gently stir through the feta, half of the Turkish pepper flakes and half of the parsley. Season to taste.
4. Cook the borek: Place the butter and equal amounts of cooking oil in a frying pan and melt gently over low heat.
Carefully set aside 6 sheets of the filo pastry (or 12 for 4 people). Lay the first sheet on a dry, clean bench and lightly brush one side with melted butter. Overlap the next sheet over the short edge, about 10cm. Continue the same brushing and layering technique until you have a long sheet of filo pastry.
Spread the filling in a line along the bottom edge of the filo. Gently roll up the pastry around the filling into a sausage shape. Curl around the sausage shape to make a snail. Carefully place onto a lined baking tray and brush with the remaining butter mix.
Place the borek in the preheated oven and bake for 15 minutes or until the pastry is golden and crisp.
5. Make the salad: Meanwhile, combine the remaining onion in a bowl with the turkish pepper flakes and a pinch of salt. Rub the salt and spice into the onion and let sit for 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and remaining parsley and mix to combine.
6. To serve: Serve the borek with the parsley and tomato salad.