Grilled pumpkin, spiced rice
PLEASE CLICK CENTRE OF IMAGE TO BEGIN VIDEO TUTORIAL.
READY IN: 20 MINS
Dried fruit, nuts and seeds
Garlic (½ of supplied)
Lemon (⅓ of supplied)
WHAT YOU’LL NEED: Medium sized saucepan, Medium sized frying pan or char grill or barbecue, Chopping board, Knife, Strainer or colander
PANTRY STAPLES: : Cooking oil (vegetable or grape seed), salt
ALLERGENS: Garlic, dairy, almond, pistachio, sesame
These instructions are to serve two people. When cooking for one, four or six the same techniques apply but the preparation and cooking times may change slightly.
1. Preheat oven to 180C fan forced.
2. Cook the pumpkin: Heat the grill pan, or frying pan, or barbecue. Oil the pumpkin and place on the grill pan. Cook for 5 minutes per side. Place the pan in the preheated oven (or transfer onto a baking tray). Cook for a further 15 minutes or until the pumpkin is cooked through.
3. Cook the rice and broccoli: Meanwhile, bring a medium pot of salted water to the boil. Wash the rice three times to remove the starch. Put the washed rice in the boiling water and boil for 4 minutes or until cooked through. Halve the broccoli, place in a steamer. Steam, covered, for another 4 minutes over the rice, or until the broccoli is slightly softened and the rice is cooked through. When cooked strain the rice through a sieve. Fluff with a fork, cover with a tea towel and set aside.
4. Prepare the vegetables: Wash the vegetables. Quarter the cucumber lengthwise, remove the seeds and dice finely. Finely chop or crush the garlic. Roughly chop the partially cooked broccoli.
5. Make the yogurt and cucumber salad: Combine the cucumber with the mint yogurt.
6. Finish cooking the pumpkin: Combine the spice mix with a splash of oil and the garlic. Place the cooked pumpkin on a plate with the spice marinade. Rest for a couple minutes then place it back onto the grill pan, or frying pan over high heat. Cook for 2 or 3 minutes to reheat and cook the garlic slightly.
7. Get ready to serve: Mix most of the fruit, nut and seed mix into the rice.Combine the broccoli with some of the marinade the pumpkin was resting in, the remaining fruit, nut and seed mix and a squeeze of lemon.