Tumeric fish cakes, cucumber salad, bean sprouts
MASTERCLASS INGREDIENT BOX RECIPE | COOK: 15MINS
1. White-flesh fish (like snapper)
2. Roasted sweet potato
4. Nuon mam sauce
1. Iceberg lettuce
3. Bean sprouts
4. Spring onion
1. Wash all the raw ingredients thoroughly and roughly chop the iceberg lettuce, leave to air dry.
2. To prepare the fish cake, dice the fish finely and then place all the ingredients in a large bowl.
Using a spatula, mix all the ingredients until well incorporated. Divide the amount into four balls and press them into patties. Heat two tablespoons of oil in a nonstick pan over medium heat, then place the patties into the pan and cook them for about 2 and a half minutes on each side. Once the patties are cooked and nicely coloured on each side leave them in the pan but turn the heat off to let the residual heat keep going.
3. Put the rice in a sift, run the tap and wash if under cold water until the water turns clear. This process removes most of the starch and will give you perfect, fluffy rice every time.
4. Bring a pot of lightly salted water to the boil then add the rice, leaving it on a high boil. The rice should be ready in about 9 minutes. Once the rice is cooked put it back into the sift and leave it aside to rest, letting the steam evaporate. (Please leave a two-cm gap at the top of the pot when boiling to stop the starch from rising.)
5. Chop the cucumber using a triangle cut and then mix the rest of the ingredients in including the pre-made dressing.
6. To plate place the rice on the plate with the salad next to it and some iceberg lettuce on the side, Next put the fish cake on the plate and enjoy!
Vegetarian/vegan/no seafood: replace the fish with roasted cabbage in the sweet potato. Use vegan fish sauce in the nuoc mam sauce (this is made from soy beans).