Falafel, turnip pickles, hummus, flatbread
PLEASE CLICK CENTRE OF IMAGE TO BEGIN VIDEO TUTORIAL.
READY IN: 15 MINS
Pickled turnips and onion
Falafel flour mix
Red onion (1/3 supplied)
Tomato (½ supplied)
Lemon (1/3 supplied)
YOU’LL NEED: Frying pan, chopping board, knife, mixing bowl
PANTRY STAPLES: Cooking oil (vegetable or grape seed), salt
ALLERGENS: Dairy, onion, garlic
These instructions are to serve 2 people. When cooking for 1, 4 or 6 the same techniques apply but the preparation and cooking times may change slightly.
1. Prepare the produce: Halve and slice the cucumber. Finely dice the onion, tomato and half of the coriander. Cut the lemon into wedges.
2. Make the falafel: Place the ground chickpeas, some of the onion, some of the coriander and the flour mix into a mixing bowl. Mix well, squeeze it with your hands to bring out the moisture in the onion. Press small amounts of the mix firmly into balls. Make three to five per person.
3. Cook the falafel: Heat a splash of oil in a medium frying pan over medium heat. Cook the falafels, in batches, turning occasionally, for 5 to 10 minutes or until brown on both sides. Remove from the pan.
4. Make the salad: Combine the tomato, cucumber, remaining onion, some of the coriander and most of the pickles in a bowl with a squeeze of the lemon.
5. Heat the flatbreads: Heat the flatbreads directly over the gas flame, or in an oven, until soft and warmed through. Cut the flatbread into wedges.
6. To serve: Spread the hummus onto the serving plate, top with the salad and the falafels. Serve with the bread. Place any remaining coriander and pickles over the falafels.