Crispy tofu in three flavoured sauce
PLEASE CLICK CENTRE OF IMAGE TO BEGIN VIDEO TUTORIAL.
Three flavoured sauce
Peanuts and shallots (½ supplied)
Rice (½ supplied)
Snake beans (½ supplied)
Thai basil (½ supplied)
Long red chilli (½ supplied)
YOU’LL NEED: Meduim frying pan, medium saucepan, colander or sieve, knife, chopping board, mixing bowl, grater
PANTRY STAPLES: Cooking oil (vegetable or grape seed)
ALLERGENS: Garlic, wheat, gluten, shellfish, soy
These instructions are to serve two people. When cooking for one, four or six the same techniques apply but the preparation and cooking times may change slightly
1. Prepare the ingredients: Wash all the vegetables. Slice the tofu into large pieces. Thinly slice the chilli on the diagonal. Pick the Thai basil leaves. Grate the cucumber on the coarse blade of the grater, or cut into matchstick size pieces. Slice the snake beans on the diagonal. Halve the tomatoes.
2. Cook the rice: Bring a medium pot of water to the boil. Wash the rice three times to remove the starch. Put the washed rice in the boiling water. Boil for 8 minutes or until cooked through. Stir halfway through to stop the rice from sticking. When cooked strain through a sieve.
3. Cook the tofu: Meanwhile, heat a splash of oil in a medium frying pan over medium heat. Cook the tofu for 2 minutes on each side or until brown.
4. Prepare the som tum: Combine the cucumber, tomatoes, snake beans and a spoon of the sauce.
5. To serve: Spoon the rice onto a serving bowl. Divide the three flavoured sauce, tofu and som tum between the serving plates. Top with the peanuts and shallots, remaining chilli and the picked Thai basil leaves.