Crispy eggplant, chilli & tomato sauce, greek salad
FULL METHOD & RECIPE CARD AVAILABLE BELOW.
Long red chilli
Allergens: Wheat, gluten, dairy, onion
Pantry staples: Cooking oil, olive oil, salt
1. Prepare the ingredients: Wash the vegetables. Slice the eggplants into 1cm round slices, sprinkle with a little salt and set aside for 15 minutes while you prepare the other ingredients. Peel the cucumber, halve lengthwise and cut into 1cm slices. Quarter the roma tomatoes. Roughly chop the capsicum. Thinly slice the onion. Slice the chilli into thin rounds. Cut the lemon in half, then cut one half into wedges. Pick the oregano leaves.
2. Make the chilli and tomato sauce: Heat a splash of oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook half of the onion for 5 minutes or until softened. Add the tomato polpa, chilli and a couple oregano leaves and cook for a further 5 minutes or until thickened slightly. Remove from the heat. Season to taste.
3. Cook the eggplant: Wash the salt off the eggplant slices and pat try with absorbent paper or tea towel. Lightly dust the eggplant in the flour and a pinch of salt. Heat a splash of oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Cook the eggplant slices, in batches, for 2 minutes each side until browned and crisp. Drain on a paper towel and sprinkle with a little salt.
4. Make the Greek salad: Combine the remaining onion, tomatoes, capsicum, cucumber, olives and feta in a bowl. Sprinkle with some oregano leaves. Squeeze the lemon half and drizzle a little olive oil over the salad.
5. To serve : Divide the eggplant slices and tomato sauce between serving plates. Serve with the Greek salad and lemon wedges.