Crisp chicken bao, pickled cucumber, peanuts
FULL METHOD & RECIPE CARD AVAILABLE BELOW.
Five spice starch
Shallot & peanut mix
Long red chilli
Allergens: Soy, wheat, gluten, sesame, onion, nuts (peanut)
Pantry staples: Vinegar, salt, sugar, cooking oil
Specialised equipment: Steamer with a lid
1. Prepare the vegetables: Wash all the vegetables. Slice the cucumber into thin rounds. Cut the carrot into matchstick size pieces. Thinly slice the spring onions. Thinly slice the chilli on the diagonal.
2. Make the sauce: In a bowl, combine the soy, hoisin and 1 teaspoon of sugar per person. Adjust taste by adding a little water if needed. Add fresh chilli to taste.
3. Make the quick pickled cucumbers: Place the cucumber in a bowl with a pinch of salt, a pinch of sugar and a drizzle of vinegar. Let sit for 5 minutes, taste and adjust seasoning to your liking. Sprinkle the chilli flakes over cucumbers to taste.
4. Cook the chicken: Coat the chicken in the five spice starch. Heat a splash of oil in a frying pan, add the chicken and cook for 5 minutes each side, or until crisp. Rest for 2 minutes and then slice thickly.
5. Steam the bao buns and chinese broccoli: Meanwhile, bring a saucepan of water to the boil. Put the buns in a steamer and place them over the boiling water. Steam, covered, for 5 minutes or until soft. Carefully separate the two halves of the bao buns. Keep the water boiling for the Chinese broccoli. Alternatively the bao buns can be microwaved. Place the buns on a microwave safe plate and put a small mug of water next to the plate Microwave on high for 1 minute or until warmed through. Be careful, they are hot! Put the Chinese broccoli in a steamer and place them over the boiling water. Steam, covered, for 5 minutes or until the stalk is softer.
6. To serve: Divide the bao buns between serving plates. Fill the buns with the pickled cucumbers, sliced chicken, carrot, spring onion, sauce, shallot and peanut mix and any remaining chilli flakes. Serve with the steamed asian greens.