Chickpea & vegetable fritters with chilli sauce & carrot salad
FULL METHOD & RECIPE CARD AVAILABLE BELOW.
Ready in: 30 mins | Serves 2
1 Chickpea flour sachet
1 small Tomato polpa
1 Red wine vinegar sachet
1 Turmeric, ground sachet
1 Cumin, ground sachet
1 Chilli powder sachet
1 Spinach bag
1 Green capsicum
1 Garlic clove
1 Dutch cream potato
1 Red onion
1 Parsley bunch
Allergens: Garlic, onion, wheat, guten
Pantry staples: Cooking oil, olive oil, sugar, salt, self raising flour
Notes: Chilli bites are a popular South African finger food. Copper penny salad is originally a British dish and enjoyed throughout South Africa.
1. Prepare the ingredients: Wash the vegetables. Peel and thinly slice the carrots into rounds. Dice half of the capsicum and thinly slice the other half. Thinly slice the garlic. Peel and grate the potato. Thinly slice the onion. Slice the spinach leaves. Thinly slice the celery. Finely chop the parsley.
2. Make the batter: In a mixing bowl, place the potato, diced capsicum, half of the red onion, equal parts chickpea flour and self-raising flour, spice mix*, a third of the chilli flakes and the spinach. Pour in a splash of water and mix to create a dough. *Combine cumin and turmeric to create spice mix
3. Add the fritters to a frying pan: Heat a generous splash of oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add about 1 tablespoon of the mixture to the pan for each fritter, try to keep them in a round shape.
4. Cook the fritters: Cook the fritters for 8 minutes, flipping them halfway, until golden and cooked through. Drain on absorbent paper.
5. Make the sauce: Heat a splash of oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the remaining chilli flakes and garlic, cook for 1 minute and then add the tomato polpa. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes or until thickened. Add half of the red wine vinegar and season to taste.
6. Boil the carrots: Meanwhile, bring a saucepan of water to the boil. Put the carrots in the boiling water. Boil for 2 minutes or until just tender. Strain through a colander or sieve.
7. Make the salad: Place carrots in a bowl with the remaining onion, sliced green capsicum, half of the parsley and celery. Drizzle the remaining red wine vinegar, a little olive oil and a pinch of salt over the salad; mix well. Stir through 1 tablespoon of the chilli sauce and season to taste.
8. To serve: Divide the fritters and carrot salad between serving plates. Serve with the chilli sauce.