Chicken yakitori don, pickled ginger salad
WRITTEN RECIPE AND DOWNLOADABLE RECIPE CARD BELOW
Maryland chicken fillet
PANTRY STAPLES: Cooking oil
ALLERGENS: Soy, seame, onion, wheat
NOTE: If cooking on a barbecue, soak the 12 bamboo skewers in cold water for 20 minutes to prevent them from burning.
Teriyaki sauce: Ingredients: Light soy, mirin, sugar, cooking wine. Allergens: Soy, wheat
1. Prepare the ingredients: Wash the vegetables. Thinly slice the cucumber. Remove the ends of the snow peas and slice thinly on the diagonal. Slice the spring onions on the diagonal. Cut the chicken into 2cm cubes and carefully thread the chicken onto the skewers. Drizzle a little oil over the chicken skewers.
2. Cook the rice: Bring a medium saucepan of water to the boil. Wash the rice three times to remove the starch. Put the washed rice in the boiling water. Boil for 8 minutes or until cooked through. Stir halfway through to stop the rice from sticking. When cooked, strain the rice through a sieve.
3. Cook the yakitori: Heat a chargrill pan, barbecue or frying pan. Cook the chicken for 10 minutes, turning often, until browned slightly and cooked through. Brush or spoon the sauce over the skewers and return to the heat to glaze. Remove from the heat.
4. Make the salad: Meanwhile, combine the spinach, cucumber, snow peas and spring onions in a bowl.
5. To serve: Divide the salad between the serving plates. Top with the skewers and remaining sauce. Sprinkle sesame seeds over the dish. Serve with the rice.