Chicken schnitzel with roasted pumpkin & tahini sauce
FULL METHOD & RECIPE CARD AVAILABLE BELOW.
Ready in: 30 mins | Serves 2
2 Chicken schnitzels
1 Tahini tub
1 Hawaij spice sachet
1 Pumpkin seed sachet
1 butter portion
1 Sage bunch
1 Butternut pumpkin bag
1 Red onion
Allergens: Gluten, wheat, onion, sesame
Pantry staple: Cooking oil, salt
Notes: If the tahini is thick, you can thin it out by mixing in a splash of water.
1. Prepare the ingredients: Preheat the oven to 220C fan forced. Wash the vegetables. Peel and dice the butternut pumpkin into small pieces. Cut the onion in half then cut into 1cm wedges. Tear up the sage leaves using your hands.
2. Pickle the onions: In a saucepan over medium heat, add half of the onion, a big splash of vinegar, a splash of water and a pinch of sugar. Bring to the boil and cook for 1 minute. Set aside to pickle.
3. Roast the pumpkin and onion: Drizzle the pumpkin and the remaining onion with a splash of oil and sprinkle of salt and place on a lined baking tray. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes or until browned and cooked through.
4. Toast the pumpkin seeds: Place the pumpkin seeds in a dry frying pan over medium-low heat and toast until lightly browned.
5. Cook the schnitzel: Meanwhile, heat a generous splash of oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Cook the schnitzels for 3 minutes on each side or until just browned and almost cooked through. If you are cooking in batches, you may need to add more oil.
6. Cook the sage: Once all the schnitzels are cooked, use the same frying pan and add the butter, Hawaij spice mix and the sage and fry until crisp.
7. Baste the schnitzel: Add the schnitzels back to the frying pan and spoon the spiced sage over the chicken schnitzel. You may need to do this in batches.
8. To serve: Divide the schnitzels, roasted pumpkin, roasted onions and pickled onions between the serving plates. Top the schnitzels with the brown butter and crispy sage. Drizzle with the tahini and sprinkle with the pumpkin seeds.