Chicken Schnitzel, Spiced sage butter, pumpkin salad
MASTERCLASS INGREDIENT BOX RECIPE | COOK: 30MINS
1. Chicken schnitzel
2. Pickled red onion
4. Pumpkin seed & pistachio mix
5. Tahini (you’ll also use this again tomorrow night)
6. Shawarma spice mix (you’ll also use this again tomorrow night)
1. Butternut pumpkin
2. Red onion
1. Preheat the oven to 220 degrees fan-forced. Next, dice the butternut pumpkin into your preferred size, then quarter the red onion, peeling off its outer layer. Line a baking tray with parchment paper, place the chopped ingredients on it and coat generously in salt and grape seed oil (vegetable or any other seed oil is fine). Put the tray into the oven for 25 minutes.
2. While the pumpkin cooks, start on the schnitzel. Heat a non-stick pan over a medium heat with a even layer of oil. We recommend not to use olive oil as it doesn’t have a high burn point. Use a wooden skewer or any wooden utensil to check if the oil is ready. If you see bubbles start to appear around the wood, the oil is ready - be sure that there aren’t too many as this means the oil is too hot and the schnitzel will burn without cooking through.
3. Put the schnitzels into the pan (one at a time if there isn’t enough room) and begin to cook. Keep checking on it and ensure to flip it..
4. Reduce the oven heat down to 180 degrees for an additional 5 minutes and rotate the vegetables.
5. Add the butter to the pan of the schnitzel. Wait for it to melt and bubble slightly, then begin basting the schnitzel. We recommend tilting the pan on an angle and using a spoon to scoop up the butter.
6. Once the schnitzel is golden brown on each side, roughly 3 minutes each side, take it out to rest on a plate.
7. Keeping the remaining butter in the pan, add the sage and a little shawarma spice mix and cook it on a low heat until it’s brown and bubbly. Once the butter has a nice nutty smell and has browned in colour, remove from the heat.
8. Take the vegetables out of the oven.
9. Serve the schnitzel alongside the roasted butternut pumpkin and onion. Finish the vegetables with a drizzle of tahini and do the same with the sage butter over the schnitzel. Garnish dish with the pickled red onions and pumpkin seed & pistachio mix.
DIETARIES AND SUBSTITUTIONS:
Vegetarian: Crumbed mushroom has been provided, use according to our recipe.
Vegan: Use the crumbed mushroom provided. Replace all butter with olive oil.
Pescatarian: Crumbed rockling (white fish) has been provided, use according to our recipe.
Coeliac: Skin on chicken thigh has been provided, use according to our recipe.
No onion/garlic: Pickled carrots have been provided, roast them as a replacement to the red onion.