Chicken schnitzel katsu with warm mushroom salad & ponzu dressing
FULL METHOD & RECIPE CARD AVAILABLE BELOW.
Kombu tsuyu sauce
Pantry staples: Cooking oil, salt
Allergens: Wheat, gluten, onion, soy, sesame
1. Prepare the ingredients: Wash the vegetables. Toast the sesame seeds in a dry pan or a low oven. Very thinly slice the cabbage. Thinly slice the spring onions on the diagonal. Juice half of the lemon and cut the remainder into wedges. Tear or cut the mushrooms into 1cm strips.
2. Make the ponzu sauce: Combine the kombu tsuyu and lemon juice in a bowl.
3. Make the warm mushroom salad: Heat a splash of oil in a frying pan over high heat. Add the mushrooms with a pinch of salt and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until the mushrooms are browned slightly. Place the mushrooms in a serving bowl, add the spring onions, toasted sesame seeds and a tablespoon of the ponzu sauce and mix well to combine.
4. Cook the schnitzel: Heat a generous splash of oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Cook the schnitzels for 3 minutes each side or until just browned and cooked through. Slice the schnitzel into thin slices.
5. To serve: Divide the sliced schnitzel, warm mushroom salad and cabbage between serving plates. Serve with the ponzu sauce and lemon wedges.