Chicken burrito with roasted tomato salsa & guacamole
FULL METHOD & RECIPE CARD AVAILABLE BELOW.
READY IN: 30 MINS
Chicken maryland fillet
Allergens : Onion, garlic, wheat, gluten
Specialised equipment: Blender or food processor, optional
Pantry staples: Cooking oil, salt, vinegar
Notes: We blended the tomato salsa in the picture, this is not essential as you can use a knife to chop it.
1. Prepare the ingredients: Wash the vegetables. Finely chop half of the tomatoes, quarter the remainder. Finely chop half of the onions and quarter the remainder. Peel the garlic. Cut the avocado in half, remove the pit, peel the skin away and roughly chop or mash the avocado. Finely chop the coriander. Cut the lime into wedges. Thinly slice the chicken.
2. Cook the rice: Place the rice in a bowl and wash with cold water 3 times. Meanwhile, bring a saucepan of water to the boil. Put the washed rice in the boiling water. Boil for 8 minutes or until cooked through. Stir halfway through to stop the rice from sticking. When cooked strain through a sieve.
3. Make the roasted tomato salsa: Meanwhile, heat a dry pan over medium-high heat. Add the quartered tomatoes, quartered onions and garlic. Cook, turning often for 10 minutes or until charred and soft. Blend, process or finely chop the cooked vegetables to a puree then combine with ½ teaspoon of vinegar and salt to taste.
4. Cook the chicken: Heat a splash of oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and a spoon of the roasted tomato salsa. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring, or until cooked through.
5. Make the guacamole: Combine the avocado, chopped tomatoes, chopped onions, half of the coriander, a spoon of the roasted tomato salsa and juice from half of the lime wedges. Season to taste.
6. Heat the tortillas: Heat and soften the tortillas directly over a gas flame or in a frying pan. Keep warm by wrapping in a tea towel or in a low oven.
7. To serve: Lay the tortilla flat. Place some rice, chicken, salsa and guacamole in the centre. Fold in the sides and roll tightly. Halve the burrito and serve with the remaining salsa, guacamole and lime wedges.