Chargrilled steak with guacamole, tortillas & salsa
FULL METHOD & RECIPE CARD AVAILABLE BELOW.
2 beef steaks
6 small flour tortillas
1 taco seasoning sachet
1 brown onion
1 long red chilli
1 coriander bunch
Allergens: Garlic, onion, wheat, gluten
Pantry staples: Olive oil, salt, vinegar
Specialised equipment: Char grill pan or BBQ (optional)
Chef's notes: Our head chef, Susie, first tasted this dish at a traditional Mexican restaurant in Chicago. We wanted to recreate the same experience for Atlas Masterclass travellers.
1. Prepare the ingredients: Preheat a char grill pan or barbecue over high heat. Wash the vegetables. Slice half of the onions and all the capsicums into 1cm slices. Finely chop the remaining onions. Finely chop half of the coriander. Pick the remaining coriander leaves. Chop the tomatoes into small dice. Finely chop the chilli. Halve, peel and remove the seed of the avocado.
2. Make the salsa: Combine the tomato, half of the chopped onions and half of the chopped coriander in a bowl with a pinch of salt and a splash of vinegar.
3. Make the guacamole: Roughly mash the avocado into a bowl with the remaining chopped onion, remaining chopped coriander and chilli to taste. Add a pinch of salt and a splash of vinegar and mix well.
4. Cook the steak: Rub the steaks in oil and sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Add to the preheated char grill pan (or frying pan or barbecue). Cook for 2 minutes on each side or until cooked to your liking. Remove from the heat and rest for 5 minutes.
5. Cook the vegetables: Add the sliced onions and capsicum to the char grill pan and cook for 2 minutes or until lightly charred and softened.
6. Slice the steak: Once rested, slice the steak thickly and sprinkle with the taco seasoning.
7. Warm the tortillas: Heat and soften the tortillas directly over a gas flame or in a frying pan. Keep warm by wrapping the tortillas in a tea towel or in a low oven.
8. To serve: Divide the steaks between serving plates and serve with the cooked vegetables, salsa, guacamole and tortillas.