Cauliflower & potato biryani, almond, mint, tomato
PLEASE CLICK CENTRE OF IMAGE TO BEGIN VIDEO TUTORIAL.
Biryani curry base
Lemon (½ of supplied)
Tomato (½ of supplied)
WHAT YOU’LL NEED: Knife, chopping board, medium saucepan, strainer or sieve, large frying pan, baking tray
PANTRY STAPLES: Cooking oil (vegetable or grape seed), salt
ALLERGENS: Garlic, onion, dairy, almond
These instructions are to serve two people. When cooking for one, four or six the same techniques apply but the preparation and cooking times may change slightly.
1. Preheat oven to 200C fan forced.
2. Prepare the vegetables: Wash all the vegetables. Roughly dice the potatoes and the sweet potatoes. Remove the stem from the cauliflower and roughly chop. Pick the mint leaves and finely chop the tomato. Cut the lemon into wedges.
3. Cook the curry: Heat a splash of your preferred oil in a large frying pan over high heat. Cook the potato and sweet potato for five minutes. Add the cauliflower and cook for a further 3 minutes or until the vegetables are all almost cooked. Add the sauce and 30ml water per person and bring to the boil.
4. Prepare the rice: Bring a medium saucepan of salted water to the boil. Wash the rice three times to remove the starch. Put the washed rice in the boiling water. Boil for six minutes or until partially cooked through. Stir half way through to stop the rice from sticking. When cooked strain through a sieve. Place the drained rice in a mixing bowl. Combine with a splash of oil or butter, a pinch of salt and half of the minted almonds.
5. Cook the biryani: Place half of the curry in a baking pan. Top with half of the rice, then the remaining curry. Add a little water to the pan to loosen all the curry sauce and pour over the biryani. Finish the dish with the remaining rice and a small amount of water, approximately 20ml per person. Tightly seal the baking tray with two layers of foil. Place in the preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes.
6. To serve: Remove the biryani from the oven, carefully remove the foil. Sprinkle the tomato, mint and remaining minted almonds over the biryani. Serve with lemon wedges.