Caldo Verde Kale Soup, Crumbed Cabbage, Egg
1. Caldo verde soup base
2. Bread crumb mix
3. Egg, 1/2 of supplied (remaining 1/2 reserved for night 2)
4. Cabbage, 3/4 of supplied (remaining 1/4 reserved for night 1)
5. Potato, 1/2 of supplied (remaining 1/2 reserved for night 2)
6. Kale, 1/2 of supplied (remaining 1/2 reserved for night 1)
1. Bring a large pot of water to the boil.
2. Cut the cabbage into segments, keeping the core intact on each piece. Place the cabbage into the boiling water for 3-5 minutes.
3. To prepare the soup, begin by dicing the potato into 1cm thick cubes and place it in a separate pot with enough water to cover them and season with salt. Bring it to boil and cook for 10 minutes or until the potatoes break apart when pricked with a fork.
4. De-stem the kale and roughly chop the leaves.
5. Add some water to the breadcrumb mix to make it stick together.
6. Gently remove the cabbage from the water, then add some vinegar to the pot and return it to the heat.
7. Preheat a splash of your preferred oil in a pan over a medium heat. Stuff the cabbage segments with the breadcrumbs and sear it for 2 minutes on each side.
8. As the water comes back to the boil, crack the egg in and poach it for 2 minutes. This will allow for the white to cook while still keeping the yolk runny. Gently remove the egg from the water.
9. Pour the green sauce and the kale into the pot with the potatoes to finish off the soup. Season it to taste and add a little water if needed.
10. To plate up, begin with the soup followed by the cabbage on top. Finish with the poached egg.