Beef sausage with 'chakalaka' capsicum sauce & yellow rice
FULL METHOD & RECIPE CARD AVAILABLE BELOW.
Ready in: 30 mins | Serves 2
1 Boerewors sausage
1 small Tomato polpa
1 turmeric sachet (incorrectly labelled as Hawaij spice mix on recipe card. Turmeric is used to yellow the rice)
1 Basmati rice sachet
1 Currants sachet
1 Brown onion
1 Red capsicum
1 Long red chilli
1 Garlic clove
1 Parsley bunch
Allergens: Garlic, onion
Pantry staples: Cooking oil, sugar, salt, vinegar, white or white wine.
Specialised Equipment: Char grill pan or barbecue, optional
Chef's note: Boerewors is a type of sausage which originated in South Africa. The name is derived from the Afrikaans words boer (farmer) and wors (sausage).
1. Prepare the ingredients: Preheat char grill pan or barbecue. Wash the vegetables. Thinly slice the onion. Thinly slice the capsicum. Thinly slice the chilli on the diagonal. Grate the carrot. Roughly slice the garlic. Roughly chop the parsley.
2. Cook the vegetables: Heat a splash of oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, capsicum, chilli, carrot, garlic and half of the spice mix* and cook for 5 minutes or until vegetables are soft. *Described as turmeric spice mix in the video tutorial.
3. Add the tomato polpa: Add the tomato polpa and a splash of water. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
4. Simmer and season: Remove from the heat, mix through the half of the parsley and season to taste.
5. Cook the sausage: Coat the sausages with a little oil and cook on the preheated char grill pan or barbecue for 5 minutes each side or until cooked through. Alternatively, you can use a frying pan.
6. Cook the rice: Place the rice in a bowl and wash with cold water. Meanwhile, bring a saucepan of water to the boil. Add the washed rice and the remaining spice mix and boil for 8 minutes or until cooked through. Stir halfway through to stop the rice from sticking.
7. Add currants: When the rice is cooked, strain through a sieve and mix through the currants.
8. To serve: Divide the beef sausage and yellow rice between serving plates. Serve with the chakalaka sauce and the remaining parsley.