Korean barbecued beef with bulgogi sauce & lettuce cups
FULL METHOD & RECIPE CARD AVAILABLE BELOW.
Pantry staples: Cooking oil, white sugar
Allergens: Garlic, wheat, soy, sesame, onion, honey
Specialised equipment: Grater, char grill pan or BBQ
1. Prepare the ingredients: Wash all the vegetables. Toast the sesame seeds in a dry pan or a low oven. Slice half of the pear into thin slices. Grate the remaining pear into a bowl. Slice the carrot and cucumber into matchstick size pieces. Thinly slice the greens of the spring onion on the diagonal. Finely chop the whites of the spring onion. Separate the leaves from the lettuce. Finely chop or grate the ginger. Finely chop or grate the garlic. Thinly slice the beef.
2. Make the sauce: Add the grated pear, light soy, sesame oil, honey, ginger, garlic and spring onion whites into a bowl and mix well. Add white sugar to taste. Set aside ¼ of the sauce for later use. Add the beef to the bowl, stir to coat and let sit for 5 minutes.
3. Cook the rice: Cook the rice in a rice cooker according to manufacturer instructions, or use the following method. Place the rice in a bowl and wash with cold water 3 times. Meanwhile, bring a saucepan of water to the boil. Put the washed rice in the boiling water. Boil for 10 minutes or until cooked through. Stir halfway through to stop the rice from sticking. When cooked strain through a sieve.
4. Cook the beef: Meanwhile, heat a char grill pan, barbecue or frying pan over very high heat. Remove the beef from the sauce and cook for 1 minute each side or until cooked and slightly charred. Add the carrots to the pan for 10 seconds. Remove from the heat.
5. To serve: Divide the lettuce between the serving plates. Top with the beef and carrots. Top with the cucumbers, spring onions and sliced pears. Sprinkle with the sesame seeds and spring onion greens. Serve with the rice and remaining sauce.