Barramundi escabeche, coconut rice
CLICK CENTRE OF IMAGE TO BEGIN VIDEO TUTORIAL.
Dried coconut and chilli
Red wine vinegar
Capsicum, yellow, or any colour
Pantry staples: Cooking oil, salt
1. Prepare the ingredients: Wash the vegetables. Thinly slice the capsicum. Thinly slice the onion. Quarter the tomato, remove the centre, set aside. Thinly slice the tomato petals. Thinly slice the parsley.
2. Make the coconut rice: Bring a medium saucepan of water to the boil. Wash the rice three times to remove the starch. Put the washed rice in the boiling water. Boil for 8 minutes or until cooked through. Stir halfway through to stop the rice from sticking. When cooked, strain the rice through a sieve. Finely chop ¼ of the onion, capsicum and tomato. Stir the vegetables through the rice with the coconut.
3. Make the tomato vinegar: Meanwhile, place the tomato centres in a bowl with the vinegar and half a teaspoon of sugar per person. Squeeze the juice out of the tomato and let sit for 5 minutes.
4. Cook the barramundi and vegetables: Heat a splash of oil in a frying pan over a medium-high heat. Place the barramundi skin side down. Cook for 5 minutes pressing the fish gently to crisp the skin. Turn the fish and cook for a further 2 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from the pan. Add the capsicum and onion. Cook for one minute or until the vegetables soften slightly. Pour the tomato vinegar through a sieve, pressing down to release all the juices. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until the vinegar reduces and coats the vegetables. Remove from heat and add the tomato and parsley.
5. To serve: Divide the fish, vegetables and coconut rice between the serving plates.