AREPA BUTTERNUT SQUASH, BLACK BEANS, SALSA
PLEASE CLICK CENTRE OF IMAGE TO BEGIN VIDEO TUTORIAL.
Black bean mix
YOU’LL NEED: Baking paper, medium saucepan, colander, large frying pan, mixing bowl, knife, chopping board
PANTRY STAPLES: Cooking oil (vegetable or grape seed), salt
ALLERGENS: Garlic, onion
These instructions are to serve 2 people. When cooking for 1, 4 or 6 the same techniques apply but the preparation and cooking times may change slightly.
1. Cook the butternut pumpkin: Bring a medium saucepan of salted water to the boil. Wash and peel the butternut pumpkin. Slice thinly and place into the boiling water, cook approximately 5 minutes or until tender. When cooked strain through a colander.
2. Make arepas: Place masa in a bowl. Add a splash of oil and enough water for it to just come together. Using wet hands, divide dough to make one ball per person. Place masa balls on a piece of baking paper. Press down to create a thin circle of dough, approximately 15-20cm across. Heat a splash of your preferred oil in a frying pan. Cook arepas for approximately 2 minutes per side, or until golden and cooked through. Set aside on a piece of kitchen paper to drain before serving. Cook in batches if needed.
3. Make salsa: Remove seeds from the capsicums and slice thinly. Slice spring onion thinly on the diagonal. Wash coriander and roughly chop. Place capsicums, spring onion and coriander in a bowl and squeeze lemon over the top. Halve the avocado, remove skin and slice into wedges.
4. Heat beans: Place beans in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook the beans for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, or until heated through.
5. To serve up: Place arepas in the centre of each plate. Top with the avocado, butternut pumpkin, black beans and a small pinch of the spice mix. Finish with the salsa and cheese.